Monday, August 1, 2016

Well, Hello August!




How in the world is it August, already?!?  Time sure has flown this year, as has my summer!  It's shocking to me to think that school starts for my kids in T minus eleven days! Yet here we are - August is here, and it's officially another Monday.

And, I think that's a sign - A new month AND a new week starting on the same day - Time to officially re-focus on myself and my goals for ME! 

When 2016 started, my motivation was lacking.  I set goals for myself and after multiple failed attempts at working towards them, I am actually further from them when this year started.  I have no other excuse than I am lazy. 

There is a silver lining here!  While my mind has not been in the right "state" to keep me focused or for me to be ready to crush my goals, I have not yet given up on them.  They cross my mind DAILY.  And that in itself has to mean something, right?  

I'm gong to say - if those goals still cross my mind DAILY, then they must still be important!

In approximately 7 months, I will be turning 35.  For me, I think that's harder than turning 30.  I have no idea why, but it is.  When I hit this milestone, I'd like to think I have my life in order, and have formed new habits, and am on my way to be an even more awesome version of myself!

People talk about when setting goals, they should be SMART goals.  What they mean by this is that they are:
  • Specific
  • Measurable
  • Attainable
  • Relevant
  • Time Based
While I believe all of these "criteria" are important in setting goals, I also believe it's important to have both short-term and long-term goals.  It's also important that you have a "WHY."

First things first - my why is two fold, and while my why's might seem to be centered around me, my biggest reason for taking charge of me is so that I am around for these two as long as possible and that when they are grown, they're able to look back and remember a fun mom!




So, what are my goals????

First my long term goals with my "why" below them.

  • Lose the weight!  (surprising, huh?)
    • I haven't weighed within the last month, but I know I am a good 100 pounds over my healthy weight range.  My goal is to weigh 130-135.  YIKES - did I seriously just type that out???
  • Have calves small enough to wear boots.
    • I absolutely love boots.  My calves are simply too big for them.  
  • Have definition in both my legs and my arms.
    • Who doesn't want legs to look good in shorts, or arms look good in tanks?
  • Run a mile without stopping.  Then run a 5K, and then a 10K...without stopping!
    • I have always admired runners.  And I want to be a runner.  I've never ran a mile without stopping.  So that' first on my list.  I've done several 5K races, but I've never ran an entire one, so once I am able to run that first mile without stopping, the next stop is completing the 5k, and then the 10k!  Who knows, maybe I'll celebrate my birthday with running a 5K???
  • Make smarter choices when choosing my food, and portion control.
    • I'm a binge and stress eater.  I need to find balance.  And, my kids are following in my footsteps, especially my daughter.  I need to become that example for both of them, but most importantly her!
  • Make working out a regular part of my routine - even if it's just 3 days per week.
    • I'm tired of feeling sluggish and tired all the time.  I want the energy and working out will improve my overall heath.  
    • Both of my parents were in and out of the hospital when I was little, starting when I was in the 1st grade.  You can't out run family history or hereditary issues, but you can sure work at being the healthiest version of you that you can be, and that's excatly what I intend to do!
  • While I will never probably wear a true bikini, I'd love to be able to wear a tankini where my "tummy" peaks out.
    • As silly and vain as this sounds, I want to feel confident in a swimsuit without feeling like I must cover up.  This year at the beach over vacation, I stayed in my beach chair because I didn't feel confident nor did I have the energy I should have had to play at the beach with my kids.  NEXT summer, I will be that confident mom enjoying life at the beach (or pool) with her kids!
  • I'm sure there are more that I am missing right now, so I'll continue to edit this list this week.
My short term goals:
1) Give up pop.  If it becomes a binge situation, then clear diet soda will be acceptable.
2)  Drink 1/2 of my weight in ounces of water per day, and no less than 100 ounces of water per day.
3) Eliminate 1/2 and 1/2 from my coffee.  Instead, use skim milk.  
4) No flavored coffee drinks.
5)  2 pieces of fruit per day.

I'm thinking that each week, I'll update with my progress and set 3-5 new weekly short term goals to implement.  They won't all be fitness and health related, but right now, that's my focus as I feel like lately I've been in a big slump and I HAVE TO PULL MYSELF OUT OF IT!!!!!!

I want my confidence, energy, and self love back.  Everything else will fall into place.






No comments:

Post a Comment